Thursday, January 27, 2011

What have I been up to?

I am teaching myself to paint with watercolors. I went to my local book store and bought a book that comes with a DVD written by Birgit O'Connor. Above is an excercise that has helped me understand how watercolor moves. The book exposes essential watercolor laws to non-painters like myself but are obvious to others. Here are a couple of laws:

(1) [Watercolor] can't move without water.

(2) Backwashes happen when the moisture level is uneven.

(3) Watercolor can be lifted to varying degrees.


This is my unfinished preliminary color scheme in colored pencil.









2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the watercolour, i'm not a fan myself as it doesn't do what i want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand exactly what you mean, Magic. Other artists make it look so simple. But as I continue to study it and practice, I find myself falling in love with it...lol!

    ReplyDelete